Tuesday, September 30, 2014

We picked a Cord Blood Bank - StemCyte

Through our process of elimination and Ob/gyn recommendation, we went with StemCyte. We liked their collection/processing method, decently local bank (in California), and lack of pushiness!

Although I really won't know much about the collection and processing method until I actually have the baby but my doctor recommended them based on her experience. I tried to do as much research as I could but it just wasn't very clear to differentiate between sales tactics and actual facts. What did help was that StemCyte was a public and private bank. That meant we would have access to the public should anything were to happen. Again, cord blood and tissue banking is an insurance plan so we just do your best to prepare for the worse case scenario.

I wanted something local in California so that it wouldn't be traveling so far after I had the baby. I figure the quicker it gets there, the quicker it'll get processed.

After calling all the banks, ViaCord was the absolute worse about telemarketing me afterwards through phone and email. So much so that I began to lost trust in the business. Where was their focus? Why are they so desperate? And threatening me with increased pricing wasn't going to work.

With StemCyte, it was relatively easy process. When I called in, I felt that I got educated in their product than being pushed to by. In fact, they never tried to get me to start the program but just answered by questions and said goodbye. The process to get started was easy and done within a day. I got my box and now its sitting by the garage door waiting for this little one to come. I've notified my doctor of our choice and have given her the heads up that she will need to do the collection.

So far the best person I've known to ask questions about this whole cord blood and tissue banking is probably your doctor. My doctor was very pro banking so she was informative. She's much more educated than we are and she has actual experience with all the different banks. My doctor doesn't get paid for it so I know her opinion and recommendations were neutral. So I highly recommend asking all your questions to your doctor.

I'll do an update after I have the baby and the good stuff has been processed!

No comments:

Post a Comment