Thursday, March 6, 2014

Compassion for ALL mothers/parents

I never really knew this existed until I became a mother. But, we are not very nice to each other as mothers. We tend to act like high schoolers and band together into cliques. Breast feeding moms vs formula moms. Stay at home moms vs working moms. Single moms vs Moms in relationships.
Why? Why must we be #TeamBreastfeedingmom vs #TeamFormula or #TeamNoVaccines?

Is there only 1 or 2 ways to raise a child?

I've concluded that when our children were born, we gave our of our compassion to our children and family that we forgot about others. All moms need compassion and understanding. Has a breastfeeding mom ever wonder about the struggles that the formula mom is going through? How bad that formula mom must feel that she can't do what her body is suppose to do, feed her child? Or, has the formula mom ever felt bad about the breastfeeding mom having no where to feed her child? Or the struggles and pain that the breastfeeding mom goes through with her body?

What about the stay at home mom having compassion for the working mom that has to hand her child every morning to someone else to raise her child? The hours and events that the working mom misses out on her growing child. What about the stay at home mom that has no one to talk to all day but a toddler? Catering to everyone else and missing social interaction? The stay at home mom that had to give up her career, something that she has worked all her life for?

I can go on and on about all the pros and cons of every side but I think we really need to stop judging people and making rude comments. I write this blog today because of an article that I read on Yahoo news called "Wait, Breast isn't Best?" and it reminded me of all the rude and mean degrading comments I got from other moms out there about why my child wasn't exclusively breast fed or why do I want someone else raising my child? Yes, those were the exact words moms have said to me. More than once. One mom said to me "Maybe no one told you but breast feeding is best. You're just poisoning your child with chemicals". I had to use ALL of my self control to refrain myself from cussing her ignorant self out.

So, lets just be nice to one another. Lets stop creating all these #TeamBlahBlahBlah and just use one hashtag #TeamMom. Lets be nice to one another and offer help. Offer someone to talk to, offer your heart. We are moms, we are dads, we are parents, we know how to have compassion.

This is a quote from today's article on Yahoo:
Jessica Shortall writes over on The Shriver Report:
"This 'breast is best' thing has taken on a tinge of accusation and a tone of judgment. 'Breast is best' no longer comes across only as: "…so leave the poor woman alone who is trying to nurse her hungry baby on a park bench." It no longer comes across as: "provide a lactation room for new mothers at your workplace -- one that does not require her to sit on a germy toilet while she produces food for a baby." Lately, it's starting to sound a bit like: "…so if you don't do it, you obviously don't love your baby or want what's best for he/she."

No comments:

Post a Comment